Friday 8 June 2007

Home sweet Home!


I know this was not the topic I wanted to discuss today, in fact I have come across so many incidences today which I usually come across in a month. However I couldn't resist thinking about that at any moment now my mum and two sisters would be landing in Hargeisa (inshallah) which none of them have seen in their twenty odd years of existence. First of all I congratulate them for having the courage, determination, and excitement (and the cash lol), to see for themselves the place that we often call home.


I myself had the privelege and travelled back in 2004. The decision was made when I was talking on the phone to my mum who was resident there for two month and I suggested that as the summer break was nearing it would be nice to take the break and come down to her. Mad as I am and always making swift decisions mum didn't hesitate and agreed, the nextthing I know is that the flight was booked and me and my brother were on our way to a trip which would be one to remember for lifetime. Our first stop was Dubai, no offence but the place is breath taking and our experience was even more breath-taking! as sweet as always mum had arranged a friend of hers to pick us up from the airport and take us to a hotel nearby, I don't know if its a human thing or just a somali thing but the guy never turned up. Even worse we were met by a scruffy somali guy who was shouting two names out, he didn't even get my name right. Anyhow the guy explained that he was set by the other guy who supposed to pick us up and take us to a hotel, and he lead us to his car. We had another obstacle to overcome, our tickets had a printing mistake and it said that we ment to fly to hargeisa the day before whoch didn't make sense as we were in Dubai the following day. I explained this to the scruffy guy who obviously had another agenda. He listened quitely as I explained what happened and the plan I had: "first we need to get to the flights office and sort this mistake out cause I am sure we are in their computer system and then once that is done we need to book a room on one of the hotels near the airport and rest for tomorrows flight" not rocket-science I thought. Once finished and about to take a breath he turns to me as he drives and says "well I have just spoken to a girl I know and I will take you there whilst me and you brother will sort out this problem". Upon hearing this I was burning with furry what the hell, he wants to dump me to some chick I don't even know worse than that what the hell does he take me for telling me what to do and speaking to me like that. "walal the three of us are going to the office we will sort this out and as I said go to a hotel thereafter" I replied, and instead of shuting up he replies in somali "qof walba dabeecad gooni bu sita" I fully understood what he sarcastically meant and I took that as form of saying ok we go by your way! I knew that this guy would be around for long to bother us, becuase as we got to the office he played like he knew it all and tried to lead the way, honestly it was a comedy show which I enjoyed. Once things was sorted out and we were back in the car I though for myself Yes only the hotel booking is left and then I won't see this guy again! but only more triuble was on the way. I asked him politely to book us a single room and he goes off calling few calls and comes back and says I booked you sharing room in which you will share with 5 other people for a night. Upon hearing this I tell him that I told him single and that sharing wouldn't be the best idea for a young muslimah, he goes off again and comes back and says you should praise me I found one but your relatives won't be happy , why I ask and he says "they are not from your qabilah or tribe....... right I say trying to keep calm I continue "listen walal (I should have stopped calling him walal because he doesn't deserve such dignity) I have been on a thirteen hour flight in which neither I have sleept well nor I have eaten well, and I had to deal with my flight issue so please the little energy I have left I don't wont to waste it on worrying about qabila, just ook it for us and we can take it from there thank you". The next thing we know we are checking in and resting in the hotel.


to be continued............

No comments: